Hon. Paula Bennett, Minister of Hypocrisy
When it comes to hypocrisy, this must surely be contender for the Double Standard of The Year…
I’m not surprised that “Bennet did not return calls”. She was no doubt holed up in her office, waiting for this s**t storm to blow over.
A bit of background into Paula Bennett’s life before she came to Parliament…
- Paula Bennet was a solo-mother, at age 17
- Just two years later, she got a Housing Corporation loan to buy a $56,000 house in Taupo.
- All of this while on the domestic purposes benefit.
- Paula Bennet was a recipient of the Training Incentive Allowance (a WINZ benefit)
- Paula Bennet obtained her degree at Massey University, through the TIA – a taxpayer-funded benefit
So for Bennett to then write and state,
“I know many people are frustrated that they and their colleagues and family work hard to support themselves while people on benefits receive state assistance.”
… is hypocrisy on a breath-taking scale.
And to compound that act of double-standards, Bennett is still a recipient of taxpayer funded “welfare”. As a Minister of the Crown, she is currently paid $249,100 p.a. – plus various allowances, perks, and a very generous superannuation. MPs and their partners also recieve free air travel, at tax-payer’s expense.
Ms Bennett is no longer on the DPB.
She just found a more lucrative way to milk the system.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ Minimum wage @ $15 p/hr
~ Marriage equality
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- What’s the beef, guv?
- 2013 – Ongoing jobless talley
- Four schools to close in Aranui, Christchurch
- KGB, CIA, STASI, SIS… Facebook?!
- The Vote, Electricity, and Sex! (That’ll grab your attention!)
- A playful “tiff”?!
- The GCSB law – Oh FFS!!!
- He Couldn’t handle the Truth…
- Mediaworks, Solid Energy, and National Standards
- The GCSB – when plain english simply won’t do.
- Student Defaulters – to be arrested on sight at all borders
- Project Loon…
- Shafting our own children’s future? Hell yeah, why not!
- Radio NZ’s new CEO is announced…
- The fabulously talented Kim Hill…
- Is Labour snatching defeat from the jaws of Victorysaurus?
- 14 June – Issues of Interest
- For Edward Snowden…
- Solid Energy – A solid drama of facts, fibs, and fall-guys
- Citizen A: Martyn Bradbury, Chris Trotter & David Slack
- Judith Collins – Minister of Talking Crap
- Judith Collins, Peter Dunne, & Backbenches
- 12 June – Issues of Interest
- National Party spin on Aaron Gilmore and MMP
- 11 June – Issues of Interest