Letter to the Editor: Lies, damn lies, and media sensationalising
from: Frank Macskasy
to: Dominion Post <email@example.com>
date: Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM
subject: Letter to the editor
Tracy Watkins recently wrote; “Recent displays of crowds chanting “f… John Key” and his effigy being burnt could either be put down to youthful hijinks or something more sinister”. (12 Aug)
Watkins has missed the point.
Discontent and anger against the current government has been rising steadily for years with,
* Cuts to education whilst giving massive tax-breaks and subsidies to corporations.
* we became aware that the wealth of the top 1% has doubled since 2004, whilst wages have stagnated.
* young people can no longer afford to buy their own homes, whilst speculators/investors make huge tax-free gains.
* tax-cuts for the rich, whilst GST and prescription charges were increased for the rest of us.
* Christchurch’s housing shortage crisis worsened – and Gerry Brownlee’s response is that the “free market will sort it out”.
* rising child poverty and inequality, whilst National passes punitive policies to attack the poor; the unemployed; solo-mothers; low-paid workers, etc.
This is why people are burning effigies and telling our dearly beloved PM to get f—-d.
Their anger has finally boiled over.
The media – comfortably esconced in their middle-class bubble – have been caught utterly by surprise.
Which shows just how far out of touch the media have been.
[address & phone number supplied]
Dominion Post: New lows hit from the outset
Above image acknowledgment: Francis Owen/Lurch Left Memes
= fs =