Taking responsibility, National-style
So let’s see how well Dear Leader and National Does Responsibility…
Blame: drug addicts
Blame: music production company.
Blame: the media (always a good flogging-post for polis in trouble)
Blame: previous Labour government, Recession
Blame: Allan Hubbard. (Hubbard had not been convicted of any offense.)
Blame: previous Labour government (again).
Blame: previous Labour Government (yes, again), Europe, and the United States.
Blame: Wall Street (an industry sector in which Key used to work)
Blame: election campaign (damned inconvenient, these “election” things)
Blame: Polls, “edgy” things, state asset sales, and “lots of challenges out there”.
Blame: “Somebody” (or anybody, whatever)
Blame: Pike Rive mining company (which was following de-regulated safety laws enacted by National in 1991.)
Blame: “global economic headwinds” (but not an excuse beneficiaries may use).
Blame: Rugby World Cup, the general election, and Diplomatic Protection Squad.
And when National has run out of people, institutions, countries, and things to blame – they can always refer to the mystical realm,
And of course, there are the none-too-subtle attempts to blame welfare beneficiaries for not having the jobs that existed prior to 2007/08,
Taking responsibility, National-style – means someone else copping the blame. Or sunspots.
Are we all clear on this?
Clayton’s Responsibility – The Responsibility You’re Taking, when You’re Not Really Taking Responsibility,
Wilkinson’s resignation was almost on top of the public release of the Pike River Royal Commission of Inquiry report. She was the “sacrificial lamb”, with the deliberate objective to short-circuit media and public debate over National’s culpability in the de-regulation of the Mining Inspectorate in 1992.
Wilkinson’s “resignation” wasn’t taking responsibility – it was a carefully-crafted exercise in damage-control.
Note that Wilkinson retained her other portfolios (at the time), along with her $250,000-plus salary plus Ministerial perks and allowances (see: ‘What have I done wrong?‘).
Indeed, any attempt by National to take responsibility was watered down when Key said,
“Under successive governments, since 1992, the influence and reach of the mining inspectorate was eroded.”
Mr Key says the Government accepts there were systemic failures in the regulatory regime across successive governments.” – John Key, Govt responds to Pike River Royal Commission, 5 November 2012
So there you have it. Key’s comments attempts to spread responsibility as far as possible across twenty years of “successive“ governments. Because, as we all know, if you spread responsibility – like margerine – as wide as possible, it becomes thinner and thinner until there’s bugger-all of it left.
The Nat’s spin doctors earned their tax-payer funded salaries that day.
Taking responsibility National style reminds me of that famous phrase from the 1970 movie, “Love Story“,
For Dear Leader and his cronies, the sentiment is the same,
Previous related blogpost
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #10: “Only two years!!”
- That was Then, This is Now #26 – John Key will let slip the dogs of war
- Capitalism and the price of chocolate
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #9: The Sky’s the limit with taxpayer subsidies!
- Letter to the editor – hitting charities where it hurts, courtesy of the Nats
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #8: A roof over your head, and boots on the ground
- Witnessing the slow decay of a government past it’s Use-By date
- Letter to the editor – A “clayton’s” government?
- Letter to the Editor – RMA Reforms and screaming Epsomites
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the editor – Time to milk a tragedy again, by our Dear Leader
- Letter to the editor – through a mirror, crack’d?
- A degree in Urban Mythology, courtesy of Massey University
- The Slater-Key Txt-Messages Trip-Up – Did Cameron Slater Plan this?
- When the teflon is stripped away…
- Letter to the editor – Witches, foreign fighters, and other bogeymen…
- Judith Collins – the Gift that keeps Giving to the Opposition?
- How biased is the media? A Patrick Gower case study
- MSM under-mining of new Labour Leader already begun?
- Nationwide Day of Protest Captures Public Attention on TPPA
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Toru)
- I have seen one future, and it is bleak
- Guest Author: An Open Letter to John Key – Why should the PM be any different?
- Letter to the editor – Key paints a dirty, great, big bullseye on our country!
- Letter to the editor – when a Terror Alert really was needed!
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Rua)
- Letter to the editor – John Key should lead by example
- Letter to the editor – Daleks, Kim Jong-un, Elvis, and Roger Douglas
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Tahi)
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 362,336 hits