Taking responsibility, National-style
So let’s see how well Dear Leader and National Does Responsibility…
Blame: drug addicts
Blame: music production company.
Blame: the media (always a good flogging-post for polis in trouble)
Blame: previous Labour government, Recession
Blame: Allan Hubbard. (Hubbard had not been convicted of any offense.)
Blame: previous Labour government (again).
Blame: previous Labour Government (yes, again), Europe, and the United States.
Blame: Wall Street (an industry sector in which Key used to work)
Blame: election campaign (damned inconvenient, these “election” things)
Blame: Polls, “edgy” things, state asset sales, and “lots of challenges out there”.
Blame: “Somebody” (or anybody, whatever)
Blame: Pike Rive mining company (which was following de-regulated safety laws enacted by National in 1991.)
Blame: “global economic headwinds” (but not an excuse beneficiaries may use).
Blame: Rugby World Cup, the general election, and Diplomatic Protection Squad.
And when National has run out of people, institutions, countries, and things to blame – they can always refer to the mystical realm,
And of course, there are the none-too-subtle attempts to blame welfare beneficiaries for not having the jobs that existed prior to 2007/08,
Taking responsibility, National-style – means someone else copping the blame. Or sunspots.
Are we all clear on this?
Clayton’s Responsibility – The Responsibility You’re Taking, when You’re Not Really Taking Responsibility,
Wilkinson’s resignation was almost on top of the public release of the Pike River Royal Commission of Inquiry report. She was the “sacrificial lamb”, with the deliberate objective to short-circuit media and public debate over National’s culpability in the de-regulation of the Mining Inspectorate in 1992.
Wilkinson’s “resignation” wasn’t taking responsibility – it was a carefully-crafted exercise in damage-control.
Note that Wilkinson retained her other portfolios (at the time), along with her $250,000-plus salary plus Ministerial perks and allowances (see: ‘What have I done wrong?‘).
Indeed, any attempt by National to take responsibility was watered down when Key said,
“Under successive governments, since 1992, the influence and reach of the mining inspectorate was eroded.”
Mr Key says the Government accepts there were systemic failures in the regulatory regime across successive governments.” – John Key, Govt responds to Pike River Royal Commission, 5 November 2012
So there you have it. Key’s comments attempts to spread responsibility as far as possible across twenty years of “successive“ governments. Because, as we all know, if you spread responsibility – like margerine – as wide as possible, it becomes thinner and thinner until there’s bugger-all of it left.
The Nat’s spin doctors earned their tax-payer funded salaries that day.
Taking responsibility National style reminds me of that famous phrase from the 1970 movie, “Love Story“,
For Dear Leader and his cronies, the sentiment is the same,
Previous related blogpost
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- This is news?!
- National Minister refers to PM as “Wild Eyed” Right-Winger!
- Letter to the editor – Used car salesmen and pony-tail pullers
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 12: No More Asset Sales (Kind of)
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Why should tradies be prosecuted for doing “cashies” and not paying tax?
- “The Nation” reveals gobsmacking incompetence by Ministers English and Lotu-Iiga
- Today’s irony was brought to you courtesy of former ACT MP and Govt Minister, Rodney Hide
- Tick, tick, tick… Countdown for National begins
- John Key: Profile of a trichophiliac
- John Key, Tania Billingsley, The Waitress, and me
- Producer of ‘The Nation’ hits back at “interference” allegations over ‘Campbell Live’
- The Curious World of the Main Stream Media
- The closure of three prisons and loss of 262 jobs – five issues for the National govt
- Campbell still Live, not gone
- There’s never a towie around when you need one…
- New Poll adds to Len Brown’s problems
- John Key’s government – death by two cuts
- A Message to Winston; A Message to John Key; and a Message to the Regions
- Letter to the editor – This is how much John Key really, really cares for Northland
- Christchurch City Council – Having your asset-cake and eating it
- That was Then, This is Now #27 – John Key on GST
- Letter to the editor – Northland voters have been warned
- Letter to the editor – How much will a ‘free’ trade deal with Sth Korea cost us?
- Latest Horizon Poll – Who paid for survey questions on mass surveillance/data collection?
- Have the media finally learned to ask the right questions?
- Someone at Fairfax is a subversive?
- Opposing the TPPA – the Heavens hold their deluge ’till the People speak
- Northland by-election – a damning poll and a damnable lie?
- Letter to the editor – A right to know?
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 375,578 hits