John Banks, ACT, and miscellaneous laws
ACT is very, very BIG on law and order.
In fact, they often refer themselves as the “law and order” Party.
Their website is unequivocal about ACT’s hard-line, no-compromise, approach to Law and Order,
ACT even refers to the “broken windows” concept; attacking crime at the beginning when “criminal activity is significantly less likely to escalate when caught and punished early “.
ACT even has a “One Law for All” policy,
Their “One Law for All” refers to Maori – but one assumes that ACT intends this policy to apply equally, to all people living in this country.
Well… maybe not,
One law for all, huh? That apparently demands a Tui.
However, Banks’ lawyer, QC David Jones stated that,
‘‘Mr Banks will comply with any lawful direction of the court to attend the court as required.’’
Well, that’s jolly big of him.
This case will be a test; are our elected representatives – especially those in positions of ministerial power – bound by the same laws that the rest of us mere mortals are?
After all, “criminal activity is significantly less likely to escalate when caught and punished early “.
Let’s wait, watch, and find out…
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- A marketing campaign that didn’t focus very well
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #11: Sorry, Prime Minister, what ‘mandate’ were you referring to?!
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #10: “Only two years!!”
- That was Then, This is Now #26 – John Key will let slip the dogs of war
- Capitalism and the price of chocolate
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #9: The Sky’s the limit with taxpayer subsidies!
- Letter to the editor – hitting charities where it hurts, courtesy of the Nats
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #8: A roof over your head, and boots on the ground
- Witnessing the slow decay of a government past it’s Use-By date
- Letter to the editor – A “clayton’s” government?
- Letter to the Editor – RMA Reforms and screaming Epsomites
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the editor – Time to milk a tragedy again, by our Dear Leader
- Letter to the editor – through a mirror, crack’d?
- A degree in Urban Mythology, courtesy of Massey University
- The Slater-Key Txt-Messages Trip-Up – Did Cameron Slater Plan this?
- When the teflon is stripped away…
- Letter to the editor – Witches, foreign fighters, and other bogeymen…
- Judith Collins – the Gift that keeps Giving to the Opposition?
- How biased is the media? A Patrick Gower case study
- MSM under-mining of new Labour Leader already begun?
- Nationwide Day of Protest Captures Public Attention on TPPA
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Toru)
- I have seen one future, and it is bleak
- Guest Author: An Open Letter to John Key – Why should the PM be any different?
- Letter to the editor – Key paints a dirty, great, big bullseye on our country!
- Letter to the editor – when a Terror Alert really was needed!
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Rua)
- Letter to the editor – John Key should lead by example
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 362,602 hits