John Banks, ACT, and miscellaneous laws
ACT is very, very BIG on law and order.
In fact, they often refer themselves as the “law and order” Party.
Their website is unequivocal about ACT’s hard-line, no-compromise, approach to Law and Order,
ACT even refers to the “broken windows” concept; attacking crime at the beginning when “criminal activity is significantly less likely to escalate when caught and punished early “.
ACT even has a “One Law for All” policy,
Their “One Law for All” refers to Maori – but one assumes that ACT intends this policy to apply equally, to all people living in this country.
Well… maybe not,
One law for all, huh? That apparently demands a Tui.
However, Banks’ lawyer, QC David Jones stated that,
‘‘Mr Banks will comply with any lawful direction of the court to attend the court as required.’’
Well, that’s jolly big of him.
This case will be a test; are our elected representatives – especially those in positions of ministerial power – bound by the same laws that the rest of us mere mortals are?
After all, “criminal activity is significantly less likely to escalate when caught and punished early “.
Let’s wait, watch, and find out…
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Poor people – let them eat cake; grow veges; not breed; and other parroted right wing cliches… (part rua)
- Hire a teenager, while they know everything
- Letter to the editor – a new angle in the flag debate
- Poor people – let them eat cake; grow veges; not breed; and other parroted right wing cliches…
- Letter to the Editor – Just how witless is our PM?!?!
- “I don’t know the details of that particular family” – Social Development Minister Anne Tolley
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Blogger threatened with lawsuit over questions of conflict-of-interest regarding Mediaworks
- Letter to the Editor – How many more children must die, Mr Key?!
- Letter to the Editor – User Pays is not a very clever solution
- Housing Minister Paula Bennett continues National’s spin on rundown State Houses
- The Curious Case of Cameron Slater, the Hacker, and the unforgivable crime of stupidity
- Government Minister sees history repeat – responsible for death
- Nothing quite reinforces ‘Privilege’ than an ‘Us and Them’ Attitude
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 13: Kiwisaver – another broken promise
- Latest Roy Morgan poll – wholly predictable results and no reason to panic
- Campbell Live, No More
- Friends, Kiwis, Countrymen! I come to praise John Campbell, not bury him
- Radio NZ – Mediawatch for 24 May 2015 – TV3’s Mark Jennings interviewed re Campbell Live
- National Tinkers while Auckland Property Prices Burn
- John Banks – A Tale of Two Cheques
- The cupboard is bare, says Dear Leader
- This is news?!
- National Minister refers to PM as “Wild Eyed” Right-Winger!
- Letter to the editor – Used car salesmen and pony-tail pullers
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 12: No More Asset Sales (Kind of)
- Why should tradies be prosecuted for doing “cashies” and not paying tax?
- “The Nation” reveals gobsmacking incompetence by Ministers English and Lotu-Iiga
- Today’s irony was brought to you courtesy of former ACT MP and Govt Minister, Rodney Hide
- Tick, tick, tick… Countdown for National begins
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 381,265 hits