Missionary, doggie, cowgirl, or -?
National MP, Kanwaljit Bakshi Singh, asked this extraordinary question in Parliament,
“If you get married, who will be identified as husband, and who will be identified as wife?“
This, I submit to the reader, is a pretty good indication how ridiculous and pathetic the whole issue becomes when Parliament intrudes into the private lives of consenting adults (aided and abetted by some extremist religious groups who feel they have a monopoly of certain institutions).
We now have the bizarre spectacle of a Member of Parliament asking some fairly personal questions that – if I went up to some strangers in a bar – would probably earn me a smack in the head.
But let’s take this situation to it’s natural conclusion. If Mr Singh feels it appropriate to ask personal questions about peoples’ personal lives, my questions to him are;
- Does he prefer missionary, doggie, cowgirl, or perhaps something a little more exotic from the Kama Sutra?
- Does he and Mrs Singh ever do the Wild Thing somewhere other than the marital bedroom? Kitchen? Attic? Laundry?
- Spit or swallow?
As a taxpayer who pays for Mr Singh’s Parliamentary career, and now his opportunity to delve into people’s private lives, I feel I have a new-found right to make these enquiries of Mr Singh.
Actually, I think all Parliamentarians should answer these questions! (Except John Banks. I really don’t want to know. )
This is how utterly stupid the debate on marriage equality can get, when those in “authority” believe they have a moral right to sit in judgement of others, and ask loathsome questions of their private lives.
And if our society applied the same standard of bigotry against Mr Singh that he levelled at the two gay men who appeared at the Select Committee hearing today (22 Nov) – a Whites Only racist society might not have been so welcoming toward him when he applied to immigrate to this country.
Thankfully, he doesn’t have to face a system of apartheid here…
One wonders about his own bigotry.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Wellingtonians say; “Everyone deserves a home – no more homelessness!”
- The slow starvation of Radio NZ – the final nail in the coffin of the Fourth Estate?
- Citizens march against TPPA in Wellington: Did Police hide tasers at TPPA march?
- Citizens march against TPPA in Wellington, send message to National govt: “Yeah, nah!”
- Andrew Little: if you want to send a really strong message to New Zealanders…
- Big Bro’ is Watching You!
- A picture sheds a thousand tears…
- A Tale of Two Head Coverings – a personal-essay
- Unemployment, Christchurch, dairy prices – Bill English confirms blogger’s analysis
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- State houses – “wrong place, wrong size”?
- Weekend Revelations #3 – Greg O’Connor and criminal statistics
- Weekend Revelations #2 – Michelle Boag has a whinge
- Weekend Revelations #1 – Dr Jonathan Coleman
- The consequences of tax-cuts – worker exploitation?
- Anne Tolley’s psycopathy – public for all to see
- Key’s TPPA Falsehoods – “We’ve never, ever been sued” ***up-date ***
- Letter to the editor – John Key; “We’ve never been sued” (up till now)
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 14: The TPPA – “We’ve never, ever been sued”
- A Message to Radio NZ – English continues fiscal irresponsibility with tax-cut hints
- TPPA – media reports and blogposts
- Letter to the editor – Joyce, TPPA, and wine exports
- Letter to the editor – Even Tim Groser was in the dark?!
- The Mendacity of Ms Una Jagose, Spymaster
- Letter to the editor – Annette King on the TPPA
- On ‘The Nation’ – Anne Tolley Revealed
- The bloated ego of a vain man – When John Key refused to listen
- Polls and pundits – A facepalm moment
- NZ Herald changes – For Real?
- Four Ways to Madness, Kiwi-style – a day in our media
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 402,966 hits