W.o.F “reforms” – coming to a crash in your suburb (Part Rua)
Continued from: W.o.F “reforms” – coming to a crash in your suburb
On TV3 News tonight,
… and this is what Simon Bridges wants to liberalise and change from six monthly Warrants of Fitness, to yearly?! Or spot-checks? Or at point-of-sale?!
Whether the police set up this exercise as some kind of “propaganda event” is immaterial.
The point here is that in one night, they found 25 cars that were unroadworthy. One had been lowered to such a degree that their rear tyres were scrapping against the metal body of the car. Double blowouts waiting to happen. (With two young children in the back seat to cap off the car owners’ exercise in stupidity. Candidates for the Darwin Awards, for sure.)
One hopes that Simon Bridges, or some other National Minister, watched TV3 tonight and will squash any suggestion to liberalise the WoF on Monday’s Cabinet meeting.
How many other unsafe, unroadworthy cars are there, driving around on our roads?
I wouldn’t mind so much – except I happen to share those same roads with those rolling death traps.
An email sent to Mr Bridges,
Date: Sat,Saturday, 3 November 2012 9:48 PM
From: Frank Macskasy
Subject: Liberalising the Warrant of Fitness
To: Consumer Affairs Minister Simon Bridges “Simon.Bridges@parliament.govt.nz”
Cc: Campbell Live “firstname.lastname@example.org”,
TV3 News “email@example.com”
Bcc:Kia ora Mr Bridges,I hope you watched TV3 news on Saturday evening (3 November).TV3 presented a news story on a Police clamp-down on unsafe cars on our roads. In one night they wrote of at least 25 vehicles that were in an unsafe and unroadworthy condition.One vehicle had been lowered to such a degree that their rear tyres were scrapping against the metal body of the car. Double blowouts waiting to happen. (With two young children in the back seat to cap off the car owners’ exercise in stupidity.)It is plain to see that there are too many people who think nothing of driving unsafe cars on our roads. A six monthly WoF check picks up some of these foolish people.One can only image the number of rolling deathtraps that will be on our roads should the WoF go from 6 to 12 months, or even longer still.Your suggestion to liberalise the WoF system is badly misguided, and judging by tonights TV3 news story, will result in more deaths on our roads.I ask that you cease your agenda on this issue and focus your attention elsewhere to facilitate safer roads. Otherwise your little experiment in de-regulation will cost lives.Regards,-Frank MacskasyBlogger
Let’s hope that common sense prevails. It’s not that difficult.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #9: The Sky’s the limit with taxpayer subsidies!
- Letter to the editor – hitting charities where it hurts, courtesy of the Nats
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #8: A roof over your head, and boots on the ground
- Witnessing the slow decay of a government past it’s Use-By date
- Letter to the editor – A “clayton’s” government?
- Letter to the Editor – RMA Reforms and screaming Epsomites
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the editor – Time to milk a tragedy again, by our Dear Leader
- Letter to the editor – through a mirror, crack’d?
- A degree in Urban Mythology, courtesy of Massey University
- The Slater-Key Txt-Messages Trip-Up – Did Cameron Slater Plan this?
- When the teflon is stripped away…
- Letter to the editor – Witches, foreign fighters, and other bogeymen…
- Judith Collins – the Gift that keeps Giving to the Opposition?
- How biased is the media? A Patrick Gower case study
- MSM under-mining of new Labour Leader already begun?
- Nationwide Day of Protest Captures Public Attention on TPPA
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Toru)
- I have seen one future, and it is bleak
- Guest Author: An Open Letter to John Key – Why should the PM be any different?
- Letter to the editor – Key paints a dirty, great, big bullseye on our country!
- Letter to the editor – when a Terror Alert really was needed!
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Rua)
- Letter to the editor – John Key should lead by example
- Letter to the editor – Daleks, Kim Jong-un, Elvis, and Roger Douglas
- Housing; broken promises, families in cars, and ideological idiocy (Part Tahi)
- Letter to the editor – The New Vietnam; who is first?
- Letter to the editor – The martians are coming! The martians are coming!
- 2014 Election – Post-mortem Up-date
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 361,663 hits