Uncle Sam, Over Here?
The interview with Panetta,
CORIN DANN: Putting the ship issue aside, is there perhaps the potential for New Zealand one day to host US marines in that same way, perhaps, that Australia and the Philippines might be in the future?
LEON PANETTA: Well, you know, I think one of the things that was made clear to me by the Defence Minister is the interest in developing amphibious capability here with the New Zealand forces. And we certainly can help provide assistance in that. The marines are among the best in terms of that capability. And I would hope that, you know, we could develop an approach where we could continue to do exercises, continue to provide training and assistance, continue to provide our expertise and try to build up New Zealand’s capabilities so that you will be in a better position to be able to provide not only for your own security but help us in providing for the security of the Asia-Pacific region.
Stationing US troops here on New Zealand soil, on a permanent basis?!
Ahhh, that would be a definite NO.
Not unless National was hell-bent on buying into a fight with every leftist, peacenik, anti-war Christian, and middle class liberal in this country?
The only reason National might conceivably go along with such a nutty proposal is that middle class New Zealanders are finally tiring of beneficiary-bashing, and Key’s spin-meisters needed a new diversionary strategy.
Our Aussie cuzzies might be happy at the prospect of becoming the 51st state of the U S of A – but I suspect us kiwis draw the line at having crappy tv programmes broadcast into our homes.
No thank you, Dear Leader, Uncle Sam, or Uncle Tom Cobbly.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- The Curious World of the Main Stream Media
- The closure of three prisons and loss of 262 jobs – five issues for the National govt
- Campbell still Live, not gone
- There’s never a towie around when you need one…
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- New Poll adds to Len Brown’s problems
- John Key’s government – death by two cuts
- A Message to Winston; A Message to John Key; and a Message to the Regions
- Letter to the editor – This is how much John Key really, really cares for Northland
- Christchurch City Council – Having your asset-cake and eating it
- That was Then, This is Now #27 – John Key on GST
- Letter to the editor – Northland voters have been warned
- Letter to the editor – How much will a ‘free’ trade deal with Sth Korea cost us?
- Latest Horizon Poll – Who paid for survey questions on mass surveillance/data collection?
- Have the media finally learned to ask the right questions?
- Someone at Fairfax is a subversive?
- Opposing the TPPA – the Heavens hold their deluge ’till the People speak
- Northland by-election – a damning poll and a damnable lie?
- Letter to the editor – A right to know?
- Letter to the editor – Getting the government we deserve
- Mike Hosking – Minister for War Propaganda?
- A marketing campaign that didn’t focus very well
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #11: Sorry, Prime Minister, what ‘mandate’ were you referring to?!
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #10: “Only two years!!”
- That was Then, This is Now #26 – John Key will let slip the dogs of war
- Capitalism and the price of chocolate
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #9: The Sky’s the limit with taxpayer subsidies!
- Letter to the editor – hitting charities where it hurts, courtesy of the Nats
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #8: A roof over your head, and boots on the ground
- Witnessing the slow decay of a government past it’s Use-By date
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 370,343 hits