David Bain – the final call for justice
Arthur Allan Thomas
And the name David Bain can be added to the above (incomplete) list of wrongful convictions in this country.
After David Bain’s re-trial and five Not Guilty verdicts, the issue of compensation arose. The government correctly sought an impartial adjudicator from outside the country, retired Canadian Supreme Court judge Ian Binnie, to rule on the issue.
The above Herald article suggests that Judge Binnie will be issuing a recommendation that David Bain be offered compensation for wrongful imprisonment.
This blogger agree with that recommendation.
The Bain Case has been controversial since the initial murders, one dark wintry morning in 1994. The evidence against David Bain was circumstantial at best, and in at least one matter, was incorrectly presented to the first trial in 1995.
Based on new evidence, and correct interpretation of old evidence, the retrial in 2009 returned the only verdict possible.
This will no doubt bring a torrent of fury from any armchair “jurists” who express a fanatical – almost religious – view of David Bain’s guilt. Some of these armchair “jurists” have cherry-picked evidence to suit their own views and prejudices. Some have watched too much American crime shows. Some are downright deranged cranks. (A minority are more considered in their views, despite holding views contrary to the Not Guilty verdict.)
No doubt there will always be a small, vociferous minority who believe that they alone ‘Know The Truth’ and contest the Not Guilty verdict. Despite not having sat through the trial nor heard all the evidence and testimony, they obviously know better than the twelve men and women who sat through the entire process.
Luckily for us all, we do not have Jury By Internet.
It would be a dire society to live in if “armchair jurists” were to sit in judgement of any of us.
Forejustice.org: Wrongly Convicted Database Index
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- National – Party 4 Sale?
- That was Then, This is Now #28 – John Key on transparency
- When National is under attack – Deflect, deflect, deflect!
- National MP Mark Mitchell and his breath-taking display of arrogance
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 16: The sale of Kiwibank eight years in the planning?
- Flag thoughts and settling dust – Dedicated to our esteemed Dear Leader and Audrey Young
- When Fact Follows Fiction – The Weird World of U.S. Politics
- 2016 – Ongoing jobless tally
- John Key is a principled man – except when a photo op arises (A Photo Essay)
- Coming soon: A terror alert near you!
- Dear Michael Cullen: the GCSB is not International Rescue!
- National’s Food In Schools programme reveals depth of child poverty in New Zealand
- Letter to the editor – So this is ‘job creation’ by foreign ownership?
- Mediawork’s Julie Christie at war with NZ on Air – Possible conflict of interest as first reported last year on TDB
- Letter to the editor: Setting it straight on user-pays in tertiary education
- Letter to the editor – In response to Orwellian National Supporters
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 16: No one deserves a free tertiary education (except my mates and me)
- Citizens present petition at Governor General’s gate
- Letter to the Editor: Steven Joyce – Hypocrite of the Year
- Hekia Parata breaks law – ignores Official Information Act – claims emails “not found” – and it gets worse!
- Dumber and dumber, scarier and scarier
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 15: John Key lies to NZ on consultation and ratification of TPPA
- David Bowie – returning to the stars
- Letter to the Editor – Rightwinger caught out parroting his own garbage
- The Best Laid Plans of Mice, Men, and Mechanoids…
- Letter to the editor – Donald Trump and the lessons of history
- Welcome back, Collins
- Hekia Parata breaks law – ignores Official Information Act
- Media stories of the Week: Police Commissioner Mike Bush on dubious police practices
- Media stories of the Week: ISIS revealed by Middle East expert
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 417,094 hits