The Talleys Strikes Back
Talleys AFFCO appears to be up to a spot of mischief-making…
AFFCO chief executive, Hamish Simson, has informed the media that AFFCO has laid a complaint with the Serious Fraud Office to investigate the financial accounts of the meat workers’ union. According to Simpson, there are “irregularities” in the Union’s financial accounts.
Simspson claims that,
“It appears from the union’s published financial statements that only a fraction of its total income has been declared. Affco union members paid $5.95 a week each to the union, which totalled more than $500,000 a year.Affco workers represent less than 10 per cent of the 23,000 members the union says it has and yet it only declares revenue of just over $700,000 per annum.More and more of our staff are starting to question where their money has gone. With the union now asking the public for donations, every workers’ dollar must be accounted for. ” – Source
It is noteworthy that the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants has already investigated a similar complaint and found no evidence of wrong-doing.
When interviewed on Radio NZ’s Checkpoint, Hamish Simpson appeared less than forthcoming on several important matters. He could not even state how many “AFFCO union members” had “started to question where their money has gone“.
Meatworker’s Union, National secretary Dave Eastlake, was not impressed, and replied
“It hasn’t taken into account that the Meat Workers’ Union’s made up of four independent branches that collect the union fees off the members.They run autonomous accounts and have them audited and pay a capitation to the national office. All the complaint is about is the national office accounts.”
It doesn’t take Quantum Physics to figure out what is happening here.
AFFCO are playing silly buggers. Dave Eastlake is right; this is a publity stunt.
But more than that, this is a carefully orchestrated attempt to wreck the reputations of meatworkers and their Union in the publics’ mind. It is a similar ploy to the so-called “Fact Sheet” that Ports of Auckland Ltd published which alleged that port workers were “remunerated” $91,000 p.a.
It is noteworthy that in his media statement, Simpson referred to “the union now asking the public for donations“.
And that, I submit, is what this is all about; a battle for the hearts and minds of the public of New Zealand. It is a battle that POAL lost soon after the 5,000 strong street march on 10 March, and when the Employment Authority came down hard against the Port management and Board.
POAL have lost the struggle for public support.
POAL have all but lost the battle with the Courts.
Talleys AFFCO are witnessing a similar campaign to build public support for locked-out meatworkers, in the media, on Blogs, and in the community. Perhaps they understand that locking out workers, who were supporting families, is not a particularly good look. In fact, this blogger goes as far as to suggest that Talley’s management have stuffed up Big Time, and are only now beginning to comprehend their precarious position.
The fact that a public boycott of Talley’s products can actually damage their brand name and impact on their profitability is only now beginning to dawn on them?
With this blog, and others, and social media supporting a boycott – Talleys AFFCO is in trouble.
Which explains their incredibly clumsy ploy to smear the Meatworkers Union. Bad form, Talleys.
This blogger hopes that when the Serious Fraud Office dismisses the allegations, that the SFO will then prosecute Talley’s management for wasting Police time. That is a crime.
In the meantime, I refer folks to a previous blogpost on how meatworkers can be supported in many little ways.
If you’re reading this and are pissed of at Talleys AFFCO’s dirty tricks campaign, you can make a quick $5 donation by calling: 0900 562 5688 . It’s a nice, easy way to vent your anger and support the locked out workers at the same time.
‘Karma’s a bitch‘ as they say, and at $5 it’s pretty damned cheap as well.
* * *
+++ Update +++
That takes care of this piece of BS.
As this blogger predicted yesterday, the SFO found nothing untoward or “irregular” in the Meatworkers Union accounts. Talleys AFFCO agenda was to smear and discredit the Union – nothing else. The Serious Fraud Office must be mightily annoyed at being dragged into an industrial dispute as a pawn by company bosses.
One hope the SFO invoices or prosecutes Talleys for wasting Police time.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $19.25/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- The slow starvation of Radio NZ – the final nail in the coffin of the Fourth Estate?
- Citizens march against TPPA in Wellington: Did Police hide tasers at TPPA march?
- Citizens march against TPPA in Wellington, send message to National govt: “Yeah, nah!”
- Andrew Little: if you want to send a really strong message to New Zealanders…
- Big Bro’ is Watching You!
- A picture sheds a thousand tears…
- A Tale of Two Head Coverings – a personal-essay
- Unemployment, Christchurch, dairy prices – Bill English confirms blogger’s analysis
- 2015 – Ongoing jobless tally
- State houses – “wrong place, wrong size”?
- Weekend Revelations #3 – Greg O’Connor and criminal statistics
- Weekend Revelations #2 – Michelle Boag has a whinge
- Weekend Revelations #1 – Dr Jonathan Coleman
- The consequences of tax-cuts – worker exploitation?
- Anne Tolley’s psycopathy – public for all to see
- Key’s TPPA Falsehoods – “We’ve never, ever been sued” ***up-date ***
- Letter to the editor – John Key; “We’ve never been sued” (up till now)
- The Mendacities of Mr Key # 14: The TPPA – “We’ve never, ever been sued”
- A Message to Radio NZ – English continues fiscal irresponsibility with tax-cut hints
- TPPA – media reports and blogposts
- Letter to the editor – Joyce, TPPA, and wine exports
- Letter to the editor – Even Tim Groser was in the dark?!
- The Mendacity of Ms Una Jagose, Spymaster
- Letter to the editor – Annette King on the TPPA
- On ‘The Nation’ – Anne Tolley Revealed
- The bloated ego of a vain man – When John Key refused to listen
- Polls and pundits – A facepalm moment
- NZ Herald changes – For Real?
- Four Ways to Madness, Kiwi-style – a day in our media
- Award for Idiot Comment of the Year – And the winner is…
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 402,518 hits