David Farrar on gender equality in Parliament…
Today on Twitter, David Farrar derided the movement for gender equality. Accordingly, I offered my response,
Farrar stated in his blogpost today,
“This is the policy that if used in the past, would have seen Labour gain no male List MPs in 1996, 1999 and 2002. Michael Cullen would have failed to be elected as an List MP, under this proposal. Daft.”
But as the Greens reported, National and it’s lackeys are the last ones who should be pontificating about gender equality in Parliament,
Gender break down of parties in Parliament
Party Female MPs Percentage
National: 15/60 – 25%
Labour: 12/34 – 35.3%
Green: 7/13 – 54%
NZ First: 3/8 – 37.5%
Maori Party: 1/3 – 33%
With only a quarter of their MPs female, perhaps we should be focusing on what National is doing wrong, rather than what the Labour Party is trying to do right.
And maybe -just maybe – if the mainstream media wasn’t so keen and eager to jump on the ludicrous, nicely rhyming, “man ban” wagon, and actually thought through the issues, we might actually arrive at a more mature solution?
But maybe juvenile derision is easier for all concerned, eh?
What do you think, Mr Farrar?
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 9 December 2013
- Letter to the Editor: Should Key attend Mandela’s funeral?
- Farewell, Nelson Mandela…
- I’ve voted – have you?
- John on John…
- A letter to the editor…
- Bring in the clowns…
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 2 December 2013
- The ChCh by-election – a letter to the editor…
- Another “satisfied” WINZ client…
- Full access for everyone!
- Geoff Robinson – an era ends.
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 25 November 2013
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 22 November 2013
- 2013 – Ongoing jobless talley
- One Dunedinite’s response to the passing of the GCSB Bill…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #5…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #4…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #3…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #2…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #1…
- Another good poll for a LabourGreen government
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 30 September 2013
- Endorsing Celia for Mayor
- How To Guide: Voting in Auckland
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011