A tale of contrasts…
Once upon a time, there was a small nation at the bottom of the world, where the people were proud of their egalitarianism…
Then they f****d it all up.
To he, who has plenty, they gave $100,000. Not because he saved lives or raised families out of poverty. He got it because he was leaving a high-paid job after just nine months in employment,
From he, who has very little, they took away $3.73 (per week). Not because he did something wrong, but because a government department – supported by aParty in power that looks down on the poor – could.
$3.73. That buys a ‘budget’ loaf of bread and maybe a small block of cheese or bottle of milk.
$100,000 – buys an upmarket sports car or a good deposit on a nice house.
Who needs the money the most; Mr Stewart or Mr Holmes?
Welcome to New Zealand, circa 2013AD.
Are we proud of what we’ve become?
= fs =
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ Minimum wage @ $15 p/hr
~ Marriage equality
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Key’s broken promise on raising wages
- Mining, Drilling, Arresting, Imprisoning – Simon Bridges
- A letter to the Dominion Post on the GCSB…
- The GCSB law – vague or crystal clear?
- Budget 2013: Child poverty, food in schools, and National’s response
- Corporate Welfare under National
- Budget 2013: petrol taxes
- Budget 2013: Student debt, politicians, and “social contracts”
- The Right has a new media voice
- Budget 2013: State Housing and the War on Poor
- Budget 2013: Radio NZ and politicians
- Budget 2013: Suffer the little children… to starve
- Brain fades and balls ups
- Citizen A: With Martyn Bradbury, Keith Locke & Matthew Hooton On Budget + Key’s Deal + Gilmore Wrap
- Budget 2013: How NOT to deal with Student loan defaulters
- Meridian Power?
- *** UP-DATED! *** NEWSFLASH!!! *** On TV3′s Campbell Live Wednesday night!
- John Key advocates theft by banks?
- On child poverty, to the Sunday Star Times…
- National on Child Poverty?!
- ***Breaking News*** Judith Collins issues decision on MMP Review!
- Binding future governments – a question.
- Skycity: National prostitutes New Zealand yet again
- Why a Four Year Parliamentary Term is not a Good Idea
- National Party Corporate welfare vs real welfare