Has Garth McVicar finally lost the plot?!
As reported in Fairfax, on 20 January – Garth McVicar, of the so-called “Sensible Sentencing Trust”, seems finally to have “lost the plot” with this gobsmacking rant at a Parliament Select Committee hearing on marriage equality,
McVicar went on to state, in quite unequivocal terms,
“Furthermore, the bill represents a further decay and erosion of the traditional family that society has been founded on.”
So if we understand McVicar correctly, there will be a “decline” in ” the traditional family ” if marriage equality is allowed to go ahead?
Aside from the sheer nonsensical and unproven nature of such a bizarre belief, it occurs to this blogger that ” the traditional family ” has been under stress for a long time – before marriage equality became an issue these last couple of years.
Take for example the story of 19 year old Robert Moulden.
Reported in the same issue of Fairfax media as the story above, Mr Moulden recently pleaded guilty in Auckland’s District Court last year, to desecrating and vandalising Jewish graves,
Mr Moulden, to his credit, took responsibility for his actions and pleaded guilty. In an act of human compassion and forgiveness, the Auckland Jewish community has rallied to support the young man to undertake further, higher education to turn his life around.
Mr Moulden’s background is all too common from young men and women who have become socially alienated,
“His parents split up at an early age, he then goes from pillar to post . . . he goes to different schools, he’s shifted around, he has no stability, no base to call his own.”
Which indicates to me the depth of Garth McVicar’s ignorance and bigotry.
Dysfunctional families have been with us for decades (centuries, even). A cursory study of the backgrounds of those dysfunctional families of beaten, sexually abused, and murdered children will reveal one salient fact; they all had heterosexual parents/guardians/partners.
If Garth McVicar wants to be critical of the circumstances surrounding declining ” traditional families “, he’s looking in the wrong place. Perhaps he should first look at three decades of neo-liberal reforms which has resulted in increased poverty; fewer jobs; a widening gap in incomes; and small towns losing their economic base as industries have closed down,
And if he’s got this so horribly wrong – what else is he stuffing up? Could it be that his “Sensible Sentencing Trust” is also built on a swampy mire of mis-information and ignorance?
McVicar has done the cause for marriage equality a great service. He’s demonstrated how shonkey and intellectually corrupt opposition to equality actually is.
Has it ever been different when a group in society struggles for justice? Emancipation for women? The universal right to vote? The Black civil rights movement in the United States? The struggle to end apartheid in South Africa?
So it goes on, to this very day. New struggles for equality – facing the same old bigotted arguments why some should not have equal rights.
Get back to your cave, Garth.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Message to TV3 execs – Is this really acceptable?
- Mike Hosking as TVNZ’s moderator for political debates?! WTF?!
- An interesting poll from TVNZ. Note some of the VERY left-wing questions!?
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- People power trumps vile sexism any day!
- Guest Author: A Cry of desperation from Christchurch
- Letter to the Editor – the Royal Visit and endless photo ops for Dear Leader
- National MPs – giving us the finger in election year
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #7 – the fate of the Maori Party
- The Media will respond to Kim Dotcom’s up-coming revelations professionally, impartially, and with all due diligence…
- Guest Author: So John Key, a man can’t be a feminist?
- Dear Leader loves you!
- Party Lists – Election 2014
- To any Israeli solidiers reading this…
- TV3 News on Polling Cellphone Users – Only A Year Late
- Barbarians at the Gates
- The Donghua Liu Affair: responses from NZ Herald and Prime Minister’s Office – Is the PM’s office fudging?
- Protest against National Party soiree results in one arrest – for bugger all!
- The Great Worldwide Treasure Hunt – NZ Herald style…
- The Liu Affair: The first step to a complaint to the Press Council.
- The Donghua Liu Affair – the impending final act and curtain-fall in this smear-campaign
- Another useless law?
- Political Joke of the Week…
- The Donghua Liu Affair threatens to unravel – PM and NZ Herald caught up in a dirty trick campaign?
- Nat’s courts good, Labour’s courts bad?!
- Political cartoon of the Week!
- Why this young chap will be voting National…
- The Donghua Liu Affair – Damn lies, dirty tricks, and a docile media
- ‘Tricky’ media…
- Let’s cast the net and see what rotten fish we catch…
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 306,992 hits