Has Garth McVicar finally lost the plot?!
As reported in Fairfax, on 20 January – Garth McVicar, of the so-called “Sensible Sentencing Trust”, seems finally to have “lost the plot” with this gobsmacking rant at a Parliament Select Committee hearing on marriage equality,
McVicar went on to state, in quite unequivocal terms,
“Furthermore, the bill represents a further decay and erosion of the traditional family that society has been founded on.”
So if we understand McVicar correctly, there will be a “decline” in ” the traditional family ” if marriage equality is allowed to go ahead?
Aside from the sheer nonsensical and unproven nature of such a bizarre belief, it occurs to this blogger that ” the traditional family ” has been under stress for a long time – before marriage equality became an issue these last couple of years.
Take for example the story of 19 year old Robert Moulden.
Reported in the same issue of Fairfax media as the story above, Mr Moulden recently pleaded guilty in Auckland’s District Court last year, to desecrating and vandalising Jewish graves,
Mr Moulden, to his credit, took responsibility for his actions and pleaded guilty. In an act of human compassion and forgiveness, the Auckland Jewish community has rallied to support the young man to undertake further, higher education to turn his life around.
Mr Moulden’s background is all too common from young men and women who have become socially alienated,
“His parents split up at an early age, he then goes from pillar to post . . . he goes to different schools, he’s shifted around, he has no stability, no base to call his own.”
Which indicates to me the depth of Garth McVicar’s ignorance and bigotry.
Dysfunctional families have been with us for decades (centuries, even). A cursory study of the backgrounds of those dysfunctional families of beaten, sexually abused, and murdered children will reveal one salient fact; they all had heterosexual parents/guardians/partners.
If Garth McVicar wants to be critical of the circumstances surrounding declining ” traditional families “, he’s looking in the wrong place. Perhaps he should first look at three decades of neo-liberal reforms which has resulted in increased poverty; fewer jobs; a widening gap in incomes; and small towns losing their economic base as industries have closed down,
And if he’s got this so horribly wrong – what else is he stuffing up? Could it be that his “Sensible Sentencing Trust” is also built on a swampy mire of mis-information and ignorance?
McVicar has done the cause for marriage equality a great service. He’s demonstrated how shonkey and intellectually corrupt opposition to equality actually is.
Has it ever been different when a group in society struggles for justice? Emancipation for women? The universal right to vote? The Black civil rights movement in the United States? The struggle to end apartheid in South Africa?
So it goes on, to this very day. New struggles for equality – facing the same old bigotted arguments why some should not have equal rights.
Get back to your cave, Garth.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- She saw John Key on TV and decided to vote!
- Voting turnout affected by bad weather?
- Teflon Man No More
- It’s official: ACT’s Jamie Whyte is several-sandwiches-and-a-salad short of a picnic
- Letters to the Editor – Spies, Lies, Five Eyes, and other matters on a Sunday afternoon
- Frank Macskasy: Who I voted for…
- September 15 RNZ interviews – and then the Moment of Truth
- Katherine Rich – resign!
- It’s time for Key to go!
- Political joke of the week…
- The Donghua Liu Affair: The OIA Gambit
- Letter to the Editor – Key makes up any old sh*t, again
- Welcome to Glenn Greenwald…
- Dom Post journos get it wrong – again!
- Nothing to hide, eh?
- Letter to the Editor – Our PM insults a world-reknowned investigative journalist
- Letter to the Editor – A Claytons Capital Gains Tax?
- Polls, propaganda, and Tracy Watkins
- Message to Rawshark…
- Who sez superheroes aren’t real?
- Latest from Whaledump2 – Jordan Williams and Cameron Slater
- That was Then, This is Now #25 – Keeping the buggers “honest”
- Are Cameron Slater and Judith Collins bare-faced liars?
- Letter to the Editor – tax cuts bribes? Are we smarter than that?
- Political Joke of the Week…
- Laughing/crying at Dirty Politics…
- Early Voting starts…
- Letter to the Editor – Time for a bribe
- National’s Ohariu candidate admits contact by Simon Lusk
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 334,668 hits