Johnny’s Report Card – National Standards Assessment y/e 2012: trade
To Whom It May Concern; the following Report Card detail’s Johnny’s achievements over the last four years.
The following contrasts compare four years, ranging from the end of 2008 to the end of this year, 2012.
Whilst it is acknowledged that the Global Financial Crisis impacted harshly on our society and economy, it is also fair to say that National has had the benefits of starting out with a sound economy (surpluses, low unemployment, etc) in 2008 and four years in office to make good on it’s election promises.
In simple terms, we, as a country, have continued to import more than we exported,
The trade balance for December 2008/January 2009 was a deficit of $341 million. This compared with a surplus of $38.5 million in December 2007/January 2008. (See: Tradingeconomics – Balance of Trade)
The trade balance for September/October 2012 was a deficit of $718 million. This compared with a deficit of $226 million for September/October 2011. (See: Tradingeconomics – Balance of Trade)
As reported in the NZ Herald on 27 November 2012, the annual deficit increased to $1.37 billion. (See: Trade deficit widens as dairy values fall)
In graph form,
On top of that, what we did export earned us less with the increasingly high value of the New Zealand dollar,
As Bloomberg wrote in October,
New Zealand’s annual trade deficit swelled to the widest since 2009 as exports fell to a 20-month low amid a decline in dairy shipments and a rising currency.
The high NZ Dollar not only affects the value of our exports (and thus helps to pay for imports) but has a direct, inescapable impact on our employment,
Whilst governments around the world were – and still are – manipulating their currencies downward, with several techniques (including “quantitative easing”) National remains wedded to a hands-off policy of allowing the “market” to determine the value of our dollar.
So while we are playing by purist, Market rules – other countries have thrown the rulebook away and doing whatever it takes to boost their economy and create jobs.
The “reward” for National’s obedience to dogma? Massive job losses,
The outlook? Not good,
National’s response? Abject surrender,
If ever a lesson was needed to illustrate the sheer futility of single-minded perseverance with a failed economic ideology, it is National’s committment to it’s hands-off policy on the New Zealand Dollar.
And yet, when it comes to “sexy” industries, National will climb over broken glass to throw tax-payer subsidies at the likes of “Lord of the Rings“, “The Hobbit“, Rugby World Cup, et al.
Whilst Key will crow about “3,000 people have been employed because of the Hobbit” (see: John Key pushes Hobbit benefit) – meanwhile 40,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost since this Government took office in 2008 (see: Loss of work hits hard).
If, by now you are feeling anxious and upset, don’t panic. It simply confirms you are still sane.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Letter to the Editor – Transparency in government – do we have it or not?!
- Letter to the Editor – The Marianna’s Trench or Pluto?! WTF was Key holidaying?!
- Letter to the Editor – Just what is the Prime Minister’s role?!
- “Dirty Politics” and The Teflon Man
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the Editor: no phones in Hawaii, eh?
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar – *Update*
- Key’s ducking for cover – utterly unbelievable!!!
- Letter to the Editor: National’s blighted future?
- Young Zealanders – Rebels WITH a cause.
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar
- When Karma caught up with Cameron Slater
- On course for a change of government – hold her steady!
- Death threats made to rightwing blogger?
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #7: What is Dear Leader actually saying here?
- David Farrar – A Question for you please?
- State propaganda on TVNZ – pssst, just don’t mention the war! Er, Election!
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #6: When apologising to a victim of violence is not considered “serious”
- Dear John – Time to answer a few questions! – Hone Harawira
- Mana-Internet Roadshow hits Wellington
- Letter to the Editor: Lies, damn lies, and media sensationalising
- Letter to the Editor: Jump Epsom voters, Jump!
- Report: Increasing the minimum wage v.s. job losses
- Latest Roy Morgan Poll – the game has turned!
- An open message to Kelvin Davis…
- The Right-wing – strong on crime!
- Do our bit: boycott Israeli goods and commercial interests!
- Letter to the Editor: War crimes in Gaza – we must take a stand!
- Waiting for Gower’s Twittering of indignation…
- Letter to the Editor: What to do with the Israeli Ambassador?
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 317,326 hits