Continued from: When spin doctors go bad
The truth? You can’t handle the truth!
When Jack Nicholson bellowed that famous line in the 1992 movie, “A Few Good Men“, few would have thought that it would apply twenty years later; down under here in Godzone; but that this time the tables would be turned against an apologist for the Establishment.
Mark Unsworth – a right-wing lobbyist for a professional “government relations consultancy” company, Saunders Unsworth, seems to find difficulty “handling the truth”. Especially when that truth comes from respected and reknowned environmental scientist, Dr Mike Joy…
On 16 November, the New York Times carried a story on the upcoming release of “The Hobbit“. The article made reference to Tourism New Zealand’s publicity campaign centering around a supposedly “100% pureNew Zealand” theme.
As we should all know by now, New Zealand is not “100% pure”. In fact we probably haven’t been “100% pure” for several decades now.
Dr Joy stated as much and was duly quoted by New York Times,
“There are almost two worlds in New Zealand. There is the picture-postcard world, and then there is the reality.”
Green MP, Eugenie Sage, backed up Dr Joy’s brutal truth, and was quoted in the same article (from a statement she made in Parliament last month),
“We promote our country as 100 percent pure and 100 percent Middle Earth. But to swim in our rivers, which is the birthright of Kiwi kids — you cannot do it in the majority of the rivers that the Ministry for the Environment monitored.”
And you know what? They are telling the truth. The clear, unvarnished, simple truth.
Dear Leader John Key and Trade/Climate Change Minister Tim Groser Minister, have now waded into the ‘mix’.
Yesterday (26 Nov), Groser rebuked Environment scientist, Dr Mike Joy, by saying,
“It’s been used as a stick to beat New Zealand by environmental activists.”
Today, Dear Leader added, just to make sure we understood what our politicians were “hinting” at,
“It’s like saying ‘McDonald’s, I’m loving it’ – I’m not sure every moment that someone’s eating McDonald’s they’re loving it . . . it’s the same thing with 100% Pure. It’s got to be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt.”
Dr Joy replied,
“I’m not going to lie about this stuff.”
He’s right. Why should he lie?
Politicians know that the “100% Pure” is a marketing scam to bring tourists (and more importantly their cash) to New Zealand and can only succeed if the true nature of our degraded environment is kept secret.
After all, successful politicians like Dear Leader John Key are so used to manipulating facts and employing half-truths to serve their political purposes (usually getting elected), that they forget that the rest of the population are not politicians.
So, having created their own “dynamic” standard of ethics, Key, Groser, and minions like Unsworth, are taken aback when the general populace raise an eyebrow in disbelief when we are expected to take part in conning overseas tourists? Our response is, “They want us to what-?”
How many times has Key been caught out telling half-truths, or not being upfront with the public?How many election promises has he broken; side-stepped; back-tracked; or watered-down until his pledges were useless?
The trouble now seems to be that Key and Groser are now expecting the public to buy in to their truth-bending ways.
Not just “buy in” – but to be tacitly complicit with the scam.
John Key wants 4.4 million people to be like him.
A nation of ‘politicians’.
Surprisingly most of the the general populace won’t have a bar of it.
Key says that no one expects New Zealand to be “100% Pure”.
I wonder what he expects when he buys a bottle of “pure water” to drink?
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Call for Aaron Bhatnagar’s resignation from govt body
- National Housing propaganda – McGehan Close Revisited
- A positive story of political co-operation!
- “Dirty Politics” – the fall-out continues…
- Letter to the Editor – a message to Cantabrians
- Letter to the Editor – fiscal irresponsibility by National
- Letter to the Editor – the PM? Or PM’s Office?
- Party Lists – Election 2014
- The Rise and Fall of John Key – who will be the next Leader of the National Party?
- Letter to the editor – fiscal prudence or another election bribe?
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 25 August 2014
- Radio NZ Debate: Bill English vs David Parker
- The Donghua Liu Affair: Evidence of Collusion between the NZ Herald and Immigration NZ?
- So who’s a “conspiracy theorist” now?!
- Letter to the Editor – Key’s credibility, blown in the wind…
- My political compass…
- I do not condone this…
- Letter to the Editor – Transparency in government – do we have it or not?!
- Letter to the Editor – The Marianna’s Trench or Pluto?! WTF was Key holidaying?!
- Letter to the Editor – Just what is the Prime Minister’s role?!
- “Dirty Politics” and The Teflon Man
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the Editor: no phones in Hawaii, eh?
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar – *Update*
- Key’s ducking for cover – utterly unbelievable!!!
- Letter to the Editor: National’s blighted future?
- Young Zealanders – Rebels WITH a cause.
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar
- When Karma caught up with Cameron Slater
- On course for a change of government – hold her steady!
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 321,616 hits