Uncle Sam, Over Here?
The interview with Panetta,
CORIN DANN: Putting the ship issue aside, is there perhaps the potential for New Zealand one day to host US marines in that same way, perhaps, that Australia and the Philippines might be in the future?
LEON PANETTA: Well, you know, I think one of the things that was made clear to me by the Defence Minister is the interest in developing amphibious capability here with the New Zealand forces. And we certainly can help provide assistance in that. The marines are among the best in terms of that capability. And I would hope that, you know, we could develop an approach where we could continue to do exercises, continue to provide training and assistance, continue to provide our expertise and try to build up New Zealand’s capabilities so that you will be in a better position to be able to provide not only for your own security but help us in providing for the security of the Asia-Pacific region.
Stationing US troops here on New Zealand soil, on a permanent basis?!
Ahhh, that would be a definite NO.
Not unless National was hell-bent on buying into a fight with every leftist, peacenik, anti-war Christian, and middle class liberal in this country?
The only reason National might conceivably go along with such a nutty proposal is that middle class New Zealanders are finally tiring of beneficiary-bashing, and Key’s spin-meisters needed a new diversionary strategy.
Our Aussie cuzzies might be happy at the prospect of becoming the 51st state of the U S of A – but I suspect us kiwis draw the line at having crappy tv programmes broadcast into our homes.
No thank you, Dear Leader, Uncle Sam, or Uncle Tom Cobbly.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- The Donghua Liu Affair – The Players Revealed
- She saw John Key on TV and decided to vote!
- Voting turnout affected by bad weather?
- Teflon Man No More
- It’s official: ACT’s Jamie Whyte is several-sandwiches-and-a-salad short of a picnic
- Letters to the Editor – Spies, Lies, Five Eyes, and other matters on a Sunday afternoon
- Frank Macskasy: Who I voted for…
- September 15 RNZ interviews – and then the Moment of Truth
- Katherine Rich – resign!
- It’s time for Key to go!
- Political joke of the week…
- The Donghua Liu Affair: The OIA Gambit
- Letter to the Editor – Key makes up any old sh*t, again
- Welcome to Glenn Greenwald…
- Dom Post journos get it wrong – again!
- Nothing to hide, eh?
- Letter to the Editor – Our PM insults a world-reknowned investigative journalist
- Letter to the Editor – A Claytons Capital Gains Tax?
- Polls, propaganda, and Tracy Watkins
- Message to Rawshark…
- Who sez superheroes aren’t real?
- Latest from Whaledump2 – Jordan Williams and Cameron Slater
- That was Then, This is Now #25 – Keeping the buggers “honest”
- Are Cameron Slater and Judith Collins bare-faced liars?
- Letter to the Editor – tax cuts bribes? Are we smarter than that?
- Political Joke of the Week…
- Laughing/crying at Dirty Politics…
- Early Voting starts…
- Letter to the Editor – Time for a bribe
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 334,977 hits