Uncle Sam, Over Here?
The interview with Panetta,
CORIN DANN: Putting the ship issue aside, is there perhaps the potential for New Zealand one day to host US marines in that same way, perhaps, that Australia and the Philippines might be in the future?
LEON PANETTA: Well, you know, I think one of the things that was made clear to me by the Defence Minister is the interest in developing amphibious capability here with the New Zealand forces. And we certainly can help provide assistance in that. The marines are among the best in terms of that capability. And I would hope that, you know, we could develop an approach where we could continue to do exercises, continue to provide training and assistance, continue to provide our expertise and try to build up New Zealand’s capabilities so that you will be in a better position to be able to provide not only for your own security but help us in providing for the security of the Asia-Pacific region.
Stationing US troops here on New Zealand soil, on a permanent basis?!
Ahhh, that would be a definite NO.
Not unless National was hell-bent on buying into a fight with every leftist, peacenik, anti-war Christian, and middle class liberal in this country?
The only reason National might conceivably go along with such a nutty proposal is that middle class New Zealanders are finally tiring of beneficiary-bashing, and Key’s spin-meisters needed a new diversionary strategy.
Our Aussie cuzzies might be happy at the prospect of becoming the 51st state of the U S of A – but I suspect us kiwis draw the line at having crappy tv programmes broadcast into our homes.
No thank you, Dear Leader, Uncle Sam, or Uncle Tom Cobbly.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 10 March 2014
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 7 March 2014
- Purchasing “justice” on the New Zealand open market…
- A proposed Labour-Green-Mana(-NZ First?) agenda – part toru
- Letter to the Editor: Message to students with loans – don’t come home!
- And this is why we call them Right Wing Nut Jobs…
- WTF? Is John Key having a melt down?!
- “The Nation” – a review
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 3 March 2014
- TV3 journo shows his true colours?
- Letter to the Editor: A coincidental photo-op?
- That was Then, This is Now #23 – Bolger breaks election promise AND predicts the future!
- Letter to the Editor: A great business opportunity, courtesy of ACT
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #3: tax cuts
- National, The Economy, and coming Speed Wobbles
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 28 February 2014
- Letter to the Editor: What is the price of justice? (In dollar terms)
- Latest TV1-Colmar Brunton Poll – Back To The Future IV?
- What do you call…
- What a gutless wanker you are, Paul Henry…!
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless talley
- Letter to the Editor: Cunliffe’s plan for jobs – Big Tick!
- Tiwai Point – An exercise in National’s “prudent fiscal management”?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – David Cunliffe
- Nationwide Rally Against the TPPA – Day of Action!
- Letter to the Editor: Why should I believe John Key?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – John Key
- Conflict of interest, National-style vs Labour-style
- John Banks and Winston Peters, Apples and Oranges
- Coming up on Radio NZ: Party Leader interview with David Cunliffe
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 272,884 hits