David Bain – the final call for justice
Arthur Allan Thomas
And the name David Bain can be added to the above (incomplete) list of wrongful convictions in this country.
After David Bain’s re-trial and five Not Guilty verdicts, the issue of compensation arose. The government correctly sought an impartial adjudicator from outside the country, retired Canadian Supreme Court judge Ian Binnie, to rule on the issue.
The above Herald article suggests that Judge Binnie will be issuing a recommendation that David Bain be offered compensation for wrongful imprisonment.
This blogger agree with that recommendation.
The Bain Case has been controversial since the initial murders, one dark wintry morning in 1994. The evidence against David Bain was circumstantial at best, and in at least one matter, was incorrectly presented to the first trial in 1995.
Based on new evidence, and correct interpretation of old evidence, the retrial in 2009 returned the only verdict possible.
This will no doubt bring a torrent of fury from any armchair “jurists” who express a fanatical – almost religious – view of David Bain’s guilt. Some of these armchair “jurists” have cherry-picked evidence to suit their own views and prejudices. Some have watched too much American crime shows. Some are downright deranged cranks. (A minority are more considered in their views, despite holding views contrary to the Not Guilty verdict.)
No doubt there will always be a small, vociferous minority who believe that they alone ‘Know The Truth’ and contest the Not Guilty verdict. Despite not having sat through the trial nor heard all the evidence and testimony, they obviously know better than the twelve men and women who sat through the entire process.
Luckily for us all, we do not have Jury By Internet.
It would be a dire society to live in if “armchair jurists” were to sit in judgement of any of us.
Forejustice.org: Wrongly Convicted Database Index
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Purchasing “justice” on the New Zealand open market…
- A proposed Labour-Green-Mana(-NZ First?) agenda – part toru
- Letter to the Editor: Message to students with loans – don’t come home!
- And this is why we call them Right Wing Nut Jobs…
- WTF? Is John Key having a melt down?!
- “The Nation” – a review
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 3 March 2014
- TV3 journo shows his true colours?
- Letter to the Editor: A coincidental photo-op?
- That was Then, This is Now #23 – Bolger breaks election promise AND predicts the future!
- Letter to the Editor: A great business opportunity, courtesy of ACT
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #3: tax cuts
- National, The Economy, and coming Speed Wobbles
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 28 February 2014
- Letter to the Editor: What is the price of justice? (In dollar terms)
- Latest TV1-Colmar Brunton Poll – Back To The Future IV?
- What do you call…
- What a gutless wanker you are, Paul Henry…!
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless talley
- Letter to the Editor: Cunliffe’s plan for jobs – Big Tick!
- Tiwai Point – An exercise in National’s “prudent fiscal management”?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – David Cunliffe
- Nationwide Rally Against the TPPA – Day of Action!
- Letter to the Editor: Why should I believe John Key?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – John Key
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 272,161 hits