Dollars and common sense – raising the minimum wage.
Well reasoned – David Clark has reasoned the issue very nicely.
Of course, those who argue that raising the minimum wage would harm our economy should consider two things;
1. Our best and brightest will leave NZ for where wages are higher. THAT will harm our economy.
2. If raising the minimum wage is a “bad thing”, consider the converse; dropping the minimum wage to $1 an hour. What would that do to our economy? Wreck it for sure.
Raising the minimum wage means people can share in the “economic pie” and buy the services and products that businesses have to offer. Keeping wages low may mean that ‘Acme XYZ Ltd’ has a lower wages-bill to pay it’s staff – but it also means that other low-paid workers can’t buy ‘Acme XYZ Ltd’s’ products and services.
Interestingly, if those on minimum wage ($13.50) had a 20% wage increase, as did the Top 150 Rich Listers – that would raise their hourly wage to $16.20 an hour.
Question: why is it ok for the Top 150 Rich Listers to increase their wealth by a staggering 20% (during a global recession, no less!) – but not ok for the lowest paid to have a better wage?
Can any National Party supporter explain this anomaly in New Right dogma?
In 2008 and again in 2011, Dear Leader John Key promised to raise wages to match Australia,
“We will be unrelenting in our quest to lift our economic growth rate and raise wage rates.” – John Key, Prime Minister, 29 January 2008
“The driving goal of my Government is to build a more competitive and internationally-focused economy with less debt, more jobs and higher incomes.” – John Key, Prime Minister, 21 December 2011
Instead, the converse has proven to be the reality,
And it’s a funny old world, really.
Voters abandoned the government that gave them this…
… for this,
Never let it be said that some New Zealanders don’t enjoy a bit of masochism every so often, and vote National for a sound bout of self-whipping.
Unfortunately, it’s the rest of us that end up paying for that self-indulgent choice at the ballot box.
Here’s a clever idea – all those people who vote National should have a wage/salary freeze during the term of that government. After all, as some National supporters keep insisting, raising the minimum wage “harms the economy”. (I assume the same holds for all wages and salaries?)
The rest of us, who vote for Labour, Greens, Mana, et al, can have our wages/salaries linked to Australia’s pay rates.
Now I ask you – what could be fairer than that?
Previous related blogposts
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Wellingtonians say ‘No!’ to Israeli aggression
- When the mainstream media go feral: the descent into sheer farce, according to Tova O’Brien
- When the mainstream media go feral: A tale of two holidays
- Party Lists – Election 2014
- Another media gaffe – this time it’s TV3’s Brook Sabin
- Frankly speaking #2…
- Frankly speaking…
- Message to TV3 execs – Is this really acceptable?
- Mike Hosking as TVNZ’s moderator for political debates?! WTF?!
- An interesting poll from TVNZ. Note some of the VERY left-wing questions!?
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- People power trumps vile sexism any day!
- Guest Author: A Cry of desperation from Christchurch
- Letter to the Editor – the Royal Visit and endless photo ops for Dear Leader
- National MPs – giving us the finger in election year
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #7 – the fate of the Maori Party
- The Media will respond to Kim Dotcom’s up-coming revelations professionally, impartially, and with all due diligence…
- Guest Author: So John Key, a man can’t be a feminist?
- Dear Leader loves you!
- To any Israeli solidiers reading this…
- TV3 News on Polling Cellphone Users – Only A Year Late
- Barbarians at the Gates
- The Donghua Liu Affair: responses from NZ Herald and Prime Minister’s Office – Is the PM’s office fudging?
- Protest against National Party soiree results in one arrest – for bugger all!
- The Great Worldwide Treasure Hunt – NZ Herald style…
- The Liu Affair: The first step to a complaint to the Press Council.
- The Donghua Liu Affair – the impending final act and curtain-fall in this smear-campaign
- Another useless law?
- Political Joke of the Week…
- The Donghua Liu Affair threatens to unravel – PM and NZ Herald caught up in a dirty trick campaign?
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 309,234 hits