Cigarettes – now THIS takes political courage!
In a radical move that can only be described as extraordinarily bold, Tasmania has begun to address the problem of tobacco addiction, head-on. No faffing about; no tip-toeing around,
One of the constant whinges from some cigarette smokers; mis-guided libertarians, and their supporters, is that tobacco is a legal product and therefore it is unjust to target it with restrictions, higher taxes, control of advertising, availability, etc.
However, if the product is banned for people born after a certain time-period, then that product is illegal.
I believe so.
Of course, there will be those rugged individualists who think it is unjust to discriminate between those who are born before and after 2000.
We already discriminate on legal grounds.
For example, certain medicines are only available to certain individuals, for those in-need. Potentially addictive medicines are not available to everyone irrespective of medical circumstances.
Same for firearms; not all people can have automatic access to guns.
Emergency services are allowed to exceed government-imposed speed limits – the rest of us are not.
Sexual predators/paedophiles are permanently banned from working with children, even long after their court-imposed sentences have expired.
And tobacco is already a highly controlled substance.
So there is precedent for laws in our society which impose controls and conditions, based on circumstances.
If we can stop our children from taking up a habit that will end up killing many of them in horrible, painful circumstances – then our elected representatives should be mandated and supported to do so.
In this respect, every single politician who voted in favour of this proposal should be given a medal for service to their community. This is courage I would never have dreamed possible for politicians – people whom we often deride for evading difficult issues and avoiding making hard calls.
Meanwhile, back in New Zealand,
Mr Ryall – stand your ground!
And let no one in the Opposition deride National’s resoluteness as “nanny statism”. This is too important to play childish political games with.
Quite literally, the lives of our young people and future generations are at stake here.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- “Dirty Politics” and The Teflon Man
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the Editor: no phones in Hawaii, eh?
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar – *Update*
- Key’s ducking for cover – utterly unbelievable!!!
- Letter to the Editor: National’s blighted future?
- Young Zealanders – Rebels WITH a cause.
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar
- When Karma caught up with Cameron Slater
- On course for a change of government – hold her steady!
- Death threats made to rightwing blogger?
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #7: What is Dear Leader actually saying here?
- David Farrar – A Question for you please?
- State propaganda on TVNZ – pssst, just don’t mention the war! Er, Election!
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #6: When apologising to a victim of violence is not considered “serious”
- Dear John – Time to answer a few questions! – Hone Harawira
- Mana-Internet Roadshow hits Wellington
- Letter to the Editor: Lies, damn lies, and media sensationalising
- Letter to the Editor: Jump Epsom voters, Jump!
- Report: Increasing the minimum wage v.s. job losses
- Latest Roy Morgan Poll – the game has turned!
- An open message to Kelvin Davis…
- The Right-wing – strong on crime!
- Do our bit: boycott Israeli goods and commercial interests!
- Letter to the Editor: War crimes in Gaza – we must take a stand!
- Waiting for Gower’s Twittering of indignation…
- Letter to the Editor: What to do with the Israeli Ambassador?
- Planet Key!
- Russell Brand nails a Fox News fascist’s arse to the wall
- Party Lists – Election 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 317,069 hits