Guest Author: Bennett’s child poverty shocker ignored by Stuff
- Neil Watts, Blogger, Fearfactsexposed
July 16, 2012
Fairfax Media have yet again applied their eerie “1984″ technique of ignoring big news when it is likely to cost the National Party votes.
Yesterday’s outbursts in Parliament from “Social Development” Minister Paula Bennett, in which she made flippant remarks about child poverty, was leading the political news at other, more moderate media today, but there wasn’t a word about it from Gina Rinehart’s Fairfaxian double-thinkers at stuff.co.nz.
The New Zealand Herald ran the story under the headline, “Bennett slammed over child poverty claim”, while Radio New Zealand used Speaker Lockwood Smith’s assessment that “Bennett’s behaviour was worse than a three-year-old”. Such newsworthy fair would delight any real news editor, and is indeed the sort of hard-edged information that has traditionally sold newspapers. But, over at Fairfax – where news values takes a back seat to partisan loyalty to the National Party – readers were denied anything at all on Bennett’s latest lapse of judgement.
In fact, avoiding the worst of Paula Bennett’s ourageous, reactionary bile over the years, has effectively made this Minister a one-woman credibility disaster for Fairfax Media, who appear to simply groan and then bury their Rightwing heads in the sand every time a National Party member makes an embarassing gaff.
I won’t pretend otherwise; Paula Bennett truly disgusts me. That’s the only way I can describe the feeling that fills my stomach every time I’m reminded of her existence. Aside from being a despicable bully and a nasty little fascist, her role in cultivating policies that contribute to child poverty is abhorrent. Denying child poverty is even worse. She makes ‘Ministry of Social Development’ sound nothing short of Orwellian, and embodies all that is vulgar and immoral about the current Government. To see a major news corporation avoid the worst of her faux pas is simpy offensive to fair-minded and thinking New Zealanders.
Fairfax’s coverage of Bennett’s bullying of beneficiaries three years ago was woefully inadequate at the time, and they seem to be deflecting any criticism this time around by distracting readers with one of those dodgy, un-scrutinized on-line polls about whether beneficieries should be drug testesd; cue their army of brainwashed, redneck readers, dog-whistled into beneficiery bashing action.
Come on New Zealand! We need NEWS from our news media, not daily doses of Rightwing propaganda. Please help make a difference by sharing this blog, boycotting Fairfax’s publications, avoiding stuff.co.nz, joining us on facebook (Fearfacts) and telling your friends to do the same. Kia ora.
Reprinted with kind permission from Fearfactsexposed
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 7 March 2014
- Purchasing “justice” on the New Zealand open market…
- A proposed Labour-Green-Mana(-NZ First?) agenda – part toru
- Letter to the Editor: Message to students with loans – don’t come home!
- And this is why we call them Right Wing Nut Jobs…
- WTF? Is John Key having a melt down?!
- “The Nation” – a review
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 3 March 2014
- TV3 journo shows his true colours?
- Letter to the Editor: A coincidental photo-op?
- That was Then, This is Now #23 – Bolger breaks election promise AND predicts the future!
- Letter to the Editor: A great business opportunity, courtesy of ACT
- The Mendacities of Mr Key #3: tax cuts
- National, The Economy, and coming Speed Wobbles
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 28 February 2014
- Letter to the Editor: What is the price of justice? (In dollar terms)
- Latest TV1-Colmar Brunton Poll – Back To The Future IV?
- What do you call…
- What a gutless wanker you are, Paul Henry…!
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless talley
- Letter to the Editor: Cunliffe’s plan for jobs – Big Tick!
- Tiwai Point – An exercise in National’s “prudent fiscal management”?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – David Cunliffe
- Nationwide Rally Against the TPPA – Day of Action!
- Letter to the Editor: Why should I believe John Key?
- Radio NZ: Nine To Noon – Election year interviews – John Key
- Conflict of interest, National-style vs Labour-style
- John Banks and Winston Peters, Apples and Oranges
- Coming up on Radio NZ: Party Leader interview with David Cunliffe
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 24 February 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 272,300 hits