Guest Author: Bennett’s child poverty shocker ignored by Stuff
- Neil Watts, Blogger, Fearfactsexposed
July 16, 2012
Fairfax Media have yet again applied their eerie “1984″ technique of ignoring big news when it is likely to cost the National Party votes.
Yesterday’s outbursts in Parliament from “Social Development” Minister Paula Bennett, in which she made flippant remarks about child poverty, was leading the political news at other, more moderate media today, but there wasn’t a word about it from Gina Rinehart’s Fairfaxian double-thinkers at stuff.co.nz.
The New Zealand Herald ran the story under the headline, “Bennett slammed over child poverty claim”, while Radio New Zealand used Speaker Lockwood Smith’s assessment that “Bennett’s behaviour was worse than a three-year-old”. Such newsworthy fair would delight any real news editor, and is indeed the sort of hard-edged information that has traditionally sold newspapers. But, over at Fairfax – where news values takes a back seat to partisan loyalty to the National Party – readers were denied anything at all on Bennett’s latest lapse of judgement.
In fact, avoiding the worst of Paula Bennett’s ourageous, reactionary bile over the years, has effectively made this Minister a one-woman credibility disaster for Fairfax Media, who appear to simply groan and then bury their Rightwing heads in the sand every time a National Party member makes an embarassing gaff.
I won’t pretend otherwise; Paula Bennett truly disgusts me. That’s the only way I can describe the feeling that fills my stomach every time I’m reminded of her existence. Aside from being a despicable bully and a nasty little fascist, her role in cultivating policies that contribute to child poverty is abhorrent. Denying child poverty is even worse. She makes ‘Ministry of Social Development’ sound nothing short of Orwellian, and embodies all that is vulgar and immoral about the current Government. To see a major news corporation avoid the worst of her faux pas is simpy offensive to fair-minded and thinking New Zealanders.
Fairfax’s coverage of Bennett’s bullying of beneficiaries three years ago was woefully inadequate at the time, and they seem to be deflecting any criticism this time around by distracting readers with one of those dodgy, un-scrutinized on-line polls about whether beneficieries should be drug testesd; cue their army of brainwashed, redneck readers, dog-whistled into beneficiery bashing action.
Come on New Zealand! We need NEWS from our news media, not daily doses of Rightwing propaganda. Please help make a difference by sharing this blog, boycotting Fairfax’s publications, avoiding stuff.co.nz, joining us on facebook (Fearfacts) and telling your friends to do the same. Kia ora.
Reprinted with kind permission from Fearfactsexposed
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Guest Author: The Rock Fuels NZ Roastbuster Rape Culture
- Dunne won’t read ‘muck-raking’ Dirty Politics
- Whale spotted off Wellington
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 1 September 2014
- Call for Aaron Bhatnagar’s resignation from govt body
- National Housing propaganda – McGehan Close Revisited
- A positive story of political co-operation!
- “Dirty Politics” – the fall-out continues…
- Letter to the Editor – a message to Cantabrians
- Letter to the Editor – fiscal irresponsibility by National
- Letter to the Editor – the PM? Or PM’s Office?
- Party Lists – Election 2014
- The Rise and Fall of John Key – who will be the next Leader of the National Party?
- Letter to the editor – fiscal prudence or another election bribe?
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 25 August 2014
- Radio NZ Debate: Bill English vs David Parker
- The Donghua Liu Affair: Evidence of Collusion between the NZ Herald and Immigration NZ?
- So who’s a “conspiracy theorist” now?!
- Letter to the Editor – Key’s credibility, blown in the wind…
- My political compass…
- I do not condone this…
- Letter to the Editor – Transparency in government – do we have it or not?!
- Letter to the Editor – The Marianna’s Trench or Pluto?! WTF was Key holidaying?!
- Letter to the Editor – Just what is the Prime Minister’s role?!
- “Dirty Politics” and The Teflon Man
- 2014 – Ongoing jobless tally
- Letter to the Editor: no phones in Hawaii, eh?
- When Stupid meets Hypocrisy, the result is David Farrar – *Update*
- Key’s ducking for cover – utterly unbelievable!!!
- Letter to the Editor: National’s blighted future?
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- 322,991 hits