The Dark Art of ‘Spin’ – How It’s Done (Part #Rua)
Continued from: The Dark Art of ‘Spin’ – How It’s Done
And relevant also: The wheels are coming off, and there’s a funny ‘plink-plink’ sound
Make no mistake – National’s scheme to “offer” subsidised contraception is a cunning plan to deflect attention from a raft of bad news that has been in the headlines lately,
- Youth unemployment up from 58,000 last year to 87,000 this year
- Total unemployment up to 160,000 – 6.7% of the workforce
- The government tax-take is down leaving a massive budget blow-out of $2.7 billion
- Migration to Australia is increasing, with a net loss of 39,100 to the year ending February 2012
- Wages continue to lag behind Australia
- and other negative indicators
Three years of neo-liberal “reforms”; slashing state services; tax cuts; introducing labour market “flexibilities” – have produced very little gain for this country.
On top of that are the run of scandals afflicting National; Nick Smith and Bronwyn Pullar; John Banks, Sky City, and Kim Dotcom; Murray McCully and MFAT; John Key’s secret deals with Sky City… It is an eye-opening litany of failure, stuff-ups, and dodgy dealings.
Cue – the Spin Doctors.
- Pick a dog-whistle issue, preferably one loaded with misconceptions, prejudice, and moralising
- Choose a vulnerable group in our society who are powerless and easily demonised
- Offer a naive, simplistic “solution” to a problem that doesn’t exist – but still pushes people’s emotional buttons
- Encourage moral hysteria, before calling for “calm”.
There is good reason why National has released this crazy plan at this point in time.
It has nothing to do with assisting beneficiaries in any way, shape, or form.
It has everything to do with deflecting attention from National’s own failures.
If National was truly interested in assisting people with subsidised contreaception – it would offer this choice to everyone.
And along with free contraception, National should be offering free dental care for children; meals in schools; and other programmes to help New Zealanders.
Otherwise, Paula Bennett’s “offer” of subsidised contraception for beneficiaries should be seen for what it really is: Spin Doctors deflecting public attention away from National’s shocking economic performance. It’s pointing a finger and yelling, “Look over there“!
Once upon a time they burned women as witches.
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Letter to the editor – National squanders our super fund!
- OIA Request points to beneficiary beat-up by Minister Chester Borrows
- Census, Surveys, and Cellphones (Part rua)
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 9 December 2013
- Letter to the Editor: Should Key attend Mandela’s funeral?
- Farewell, Nelson Mandela…
- I’ve voted – have you?
- John on John…
- A letter to the editor…
- Bring in the clowns…
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 2 December 2013
- The ChCh by-election – a letter to the editor…
- Another “satisfied” WINZ client…
- Full access for everyone!
- Geoff Robinson – an era ends.
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 25 November 2013
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 22 November 2013
- 2013 – Ongoing jobless talley
- One Dunedinite’s response to the passing of the GCSB Bill…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #5…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #4…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #3…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #2…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #1…
- Another good poll for a LabourGreen government
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011