Police: behind the 8-ball…
The point has been made that when Ninja Police mounted their raids in October 2007, they raided multiple homes in Ruatoki; locked down the entire village; set up road blocks; masked, armed police everywhere; and searched vehicles, buses, etc. Whole families were detained for over NINE hours in a garage.
Contrast that to the raid in Aro Valley, Wellington, where police raided a single house as part of “Operation 8″. Only the one house was raided. Aro Valley was not locked down. Other houses nearby were not raided. Aro Street was not sealed off with armed police dressed in “Mad Max” style battle fatigues..
[Note: there are no images available of the police-terror raids in Aro Valley, via Google. This blogger has used several search parameters.]
Could it be that the stark difference was because Ruatoki was a Maori village – and Aro Valley was predominantly white, middle class, gentiles?
Yeah, what do you think? Racist much?
“Operation 8″ may be a relevant name for this over-reacted; testosterone-fueled terror raids by the Police. They were certainly behind the eight-ball on this fiasco.
It’s time that the horrendous, quasi-fascist “Terrorism Suppression Act” was repealed from our law books and consigned to the rubbish bin of history. It has no place in a civilised society. Politicians might think twice before enacting such dangerous laws.
And an apology to Tuhoe might not be a bad idea either. God knows they deserve it.
* * *
= fs =
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ A Living wage at $18.40/hr
~ Marriage equality - Yay! Got that one!
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Letter to the Editor: Should Key attend Mandela’s funeral?
- Farewell, Nelson Mandela…
- I’ve voted – have you?
- John on John…
- A letter to the editor…
- Bring in the clowns…
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 2 December 2013
- The ChCh by-election – a letter to the editor…
- Another “satisfied” WINZ client…
- Full access for everyone!
- Geoff Robinson – an era ends.
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 25 November 2013
- Radio NZ: Focus on Politics for 22 November 2013
- 2013 – Ongoing jobless talley
- One Dunedinite’s response to the passing of the GCSB Bill…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #5…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #4…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #3…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #2…
- Random Thoughts on Random Things #1…
- Another good poll for a LabourGreen government
- Radio NZ: Politics with Matthew Hooton and Mike Williams – 30 September 2013
- Endorsing Celia for Mayor
- How To Guide: Voting in Auckland
- Guest Author: Dunedin election – my guide to who’s left and who’s not
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011