The Cost of War
It’s not just the “markets” that are breathing a sigh of relief – the rest of the world was probably holding it’s collective breath as well. The US economy is simply “to big to fail” (to borrow a term from recent government bail-outs of troubled corporations) and de-faulting on its debt would have impacted on every economy on this planet.
Interesting that the US$1 trillion debt that equates to the cost of America’s involvement in two current wars in the Middle East…
Cutting US$1 trillion from the US economy… I wonder how many poor buggers will end up losing their jobs, as the American government reigns in spending. When governments cut spending, that inevitably entails people losing their jobs.
US$1 trillion spent on two wars. And it’s American workers that will pay the price. Democracy, eh? Ya gotta love it.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
For a better New Zealand…
~ Cleaner rivers
~ No deep-sea oil drilling
~ Less on Roads - more on Rail
~ Minimum wage @ $15 p/hr
~ Marriage equality
~ Strong, effective Unions
~ No secret free-trade deals
~ Breakfast/lunches in our schools
~ Introducing Civics into our school curriculum
~ Cut back on the liquor industry
~ A fairer, progressive tax system
~ Fully funded, free healthcare
~ Ditto for education, including Tertiary
~ Fund Pharmac for Pompe's Disease medication & other 'orphan' drugs
~ No state asset sales!
~ Rebuild public TV broadcasting!
~ Keeping farms in local ownership
~ Reduce poverty, like we reduced the toll for road-fatalities
~ Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
~ Being nice to each other
- Budget 2013: Suffer the little children… to starve
- Brain fades and balls ups
- Citizen A: With Martyn Bradbury, Keith Locke & Matthew Hooton On Budget + Key’s Deal + Gilmore Wrap
- Budget 2013: How NOT to deal with Student loan defaulters
- Meridian Power?
- *** UP-DATED! *** NEWSFLASH!!! *** On TV3′s Campbell Live Wednesday night!
- John Key advocates theft by banks?
- On child poverty, to the Sunday Star Times…
- National on Child Poverty?!
- ***Breaking News*** Judith Collins issues decision on MMP Review!
- Binding future governments – a question.
- Skycity: National prostitutes New Zealand yet again
- Why a Four Year Parliamentary Term is not a Good Idea
- National Party Corporate welfare vs real welfare
- The NZ Taliban – quietly safeguarding our morals
- Citizen A: Martyn Bradbury, Chris Trotter & Selwyn Manning on Key’s Spy Bills + Dying Cities + Aaron Gilmore
- Talkback Radio, Public Radio, and related matters…
- John Key on Aaron Gilmore
- 2013 – Ongoing jobless talley
- An Occupation to remind the Government…
- But will he remember this helicopter flight in one year’s time?
- Nats, Lies, and Videotape
- Booze-ups, brain-fades, and bullying
- Do National Party supporters prefer higher electricity prices?
- Blogger lays complaint with Commerce Commission – *UP-DATE*